Clear all

How to use external speakers

21 Posts
6 Users
9 Likes
(@vianne)
Topic starter  

Hi!

I'm intending to use the Qbo for a demo (in just 2 days 😱 ) but I think the audio from the built-in speaker will not be loud enough to be heard throughout the room. I tried connecting a speaker to the audio jack from the Raspberry pi but I found out the audio is managed by the Q-board... I could not find a setting in the code where I could easily change this. Can you help me out? What do I have to change in order to make using external speakers possible? Thanks in advance!

Qbo Robot
(@nonogrub)
Member Admin

Posted by: Vianne

Hi!

I'm intending to use the Qbo for a demo (in just 2 days 😱 ) but I think the audio from the built-in speaker will not be loud enough to be heard throughout the room. I tried connecting a speaker to the audio jack from the Raspberry pi but I found out the audio is managed by the Q-board... I could not find a setting in the code where I could easily change this. Can you help me out? What do I have to change in order to make using external speakers possible? Thanks in advance!

Hi Vianne,

Please go to this thread:  http://thecorpora.com/community/frequently-asked-questions/howto-connect-external-speaker-to-q-bo-one/#post-10

ReplyQuote
(@vianne)
Topic starter  

Thanks for your quick response! I did not see that post yet... Although I'm using a custom function which uses mpg123 instead of aplay I found a similar way to force the external speakers to be used thanks to that post! However I notice that if I use the external speakers, Qbo's mouth does not 'talk' anymore. Is there a way to fix this? The demo will have much more impact if it seemed like the Qbo was actually talking to the audience!

ReplyQuote
Qbo Robot
(@nonogrub)
Member Admin

Posted by: Vianne

Thanks for your quick response! I did not see that post yet... Although I'm using a custom function which uses mpg123 instead of aplay I found a similar way to force the external speakers to be used thanks to that post! However I notice that if I use the external speakers, Qbo's mouth does not 'talk' anymore. Is there a way to fix this? The demo will have much more impact if it seemed like the Qbo was actually talking to the audience!

Hi Vianne, unfortunately, right now,  there is no possible. We are working in a new version of Q.boards that will have the possibility to use external amplifier speakers via a Jack Connector ( IN/OUT ). We noted that some users requested by this feature in the past and we are working on it.

ReplyQuote
(@lucarobotics)

Hi,

What ohm is the audio actuator used in Qbo One, I am considering building a base for Qbo One to stand on that would include an amplifier and speaker and was thinking of connecting this to the audio output of the Q.board........

Carl

ReplyQuote
Qbo Robot
(@nonogrub)
Member Admin

Posted by: LucaRobotics

Hi,

What ohm is the audio actuator used in Qbo One, I am considering building a base for Qbo One to stand on that would include an amplifier and speaker and was thinking of connecting this to the audio output of the Q.board........

Carl

Hi Carl,

The audio actuator is an exciter, it is like a speaker with 4 Ohm of impedance. You could connect your base to the output but be careful... the output impedance is low, a resistor divided and filter capacitor  is needed to avoid amplifier saturation and high frequency ripple due to class-D amplifier PWM output . The output of the amplifier could be as high as 5V. 

ReplyQuote
(@lucarobotics)

That's great, we are designing an connector board as it is so the additional filtering shouldn't be a problem.

Carl

ReplyQuote
(@lucarobotics)

Just a quick update. We have built a prototype external connection board and have been able to drive an external active speaker with the mouth still being animated. Currently, we have the voltage from the audio actuator being dropped with a resistor divider and it is working fine, we haven't added the filter capacitor yet as we are waiting for some more capacitors to be delivered, they are due tomorrow. 

Once we have it all working correctly, we will share what we have.

Carl

ReplyQuote
Qbo Robot
(@nonogrub)
Member Admin

Just a quick update. We have built a prototype external connection board and have been able to drive an external active speaker with the mouth still being animated. Currently, we have the voltage from the audio actuator being dropped with a resistor divider and it is working fine, we haven't added the filter capacitor yet as we are waiting for some more capacitors to be delivered, they are due tomorrow. 

Once we have it all working correctly, we will share what we have.

Carl

Great news Carl. Did you received a private email from our team?

ReplyQuote
(@lucarobotics)

Hi,

No, I haven't received a private email. Now I am curious........

Carl 

ReplyQuote
Qbo Robot
(@nonogrub)
Member Admin

Hi,

No, I haven't received a private email. Now I am curious........

Carl 

Hi Carl, please check your spam folder. If not, please send us an email to indiegogo@thecopora.com and we will answer you with some good news for you. :) 

ReplyQuote
(@lucarobotics)

Hi,

Found it in my spam, have replied, thank you

Carl

ReplyQuote
caju
 caju
(@caju)

As I have just solved the same problem for me, I want to update the solution that I have gone through using no more hardware than the already included in Qbo.

First of all, I have connected a speaker directly to the jack port of the raspberry. After that, I have disconnected the embeded speaker because to solve this I am going to send the same audio, at the same time, to every device, so both speakers would play the same sounds. With that, the mouth moves because the audio signals are sent through the serial port, but the speaker connected via Jack also works.

To do that, I have followed the answer shown in the next forum, installing paprefs:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/78174/play-sound-through-two-or-more-outputs-devices

After installing paprefs, it must be launched and selected the option "Add virtual output device for simultaneous output on all local sound cards". Once done, a new output device will appear, you must just choose that one and the audio will be sent at the same time to every sound card.

Just wanted to inform that I have done it in a new Raspbian image in which I have installed the Qbo ssh file. But I guess that should also work in the original system.

ReplyQuote
Qbo Robot
(@nonogrub)
Member Admin

Posted by: @caju

As I have just solved the same problem for me, I want to update the solution that I have gone through using no more hardware than the already included in Qbo.

First of all, I have connected a speaker directly to the jack port of the raspberry. After that, I have disconnected the embeded speaker because to solve this I am going to send the same audio, at the same time, to every device, so both speakers would play the same sounds. With that, the mouth moves because the audio signals are sent through the serial port, but the speaker connected via Jack also works.

To do that, I have followed the answer shown in the next forum, installing paprefs:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/78174/play-sound-through-two-or-more-outputs-devices

After installing paprefs, it must be launched and selected the option "Add virtual output device for simultaneous output on all local sound cards". Once done, a new output device will appear, you must just choose that one and the audio will be sent at the same time to every sound card.

Just wanted to inform that I have done it in a new Raspbian image in which I have installed the Qbo ssh file. But I guess that should also work in the original system.

Hi @caju

don´t have any delay between mouth leds and sound through the Raspberry Pi?. We made an special pcb for this purpose due to the delay. You can found more information here.

ReplyQuote
caju
 caju
(@caju)

Hi Qbo, at least for the visual feeling, there is no delay between the sound from the raspberry and the mouth. We have checked it few mates and there is nothing appreciable to the eye.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: