9 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
caju
 caju
(@caju)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone!!

I have a Qbo and I would like to start a new raspbian image from zero to include ROS and several ROS packages that I have already developed. To do that, I do not want to install all the Qbo software, but I want to control every actuator and sensor.

I would like to know how to configure the raspberry Pi to use the speaker, the microphone and the serial outputs and inputs to control the motors, the mouth and nose leds and the touch sensors.

I have tried to have a look at the Installing_Qbo.sh orders and have tried to execute those that I thought could have helped me to control everything using the library QboCmd.py. But I have not succeeded.

With the cameras I have no problem because they are directly connected to the Raspberry.

If anyone could help me I would be very grateful, because I do not want to use the Qbo original code, but make a new system integrated with ROS, but to do that I need to control all the actuators and sensors of the robot.

Topic Tags
Qbo Robot
(@nonogrub)
Member Admin

Hi @caju, welcome to our community. Due to your initiative, during this week we will open a new ROS thread into the main forum.

Please let me know if you need further information.

theCorpora team

ReplyQuote
caju
 caju
(@caju)
Topic starter  

I want to add that I have also executed in a completely new Raspbian image the file QBO_Installer_09.sh provided by @chrisbuy in: http://thecorpora.com/community/developers/qbo_installer-sh-v1-0-fails-to-install-qbo-software-on-brandnew-image-2/#post-628

However, after executing it not even the microphone, the speaker, the leds or the motors worked for me. Note that I use as a library to control the nose and the motors the python file QboCmd.py that already works in the original Qbo image.

ReplyQuote
Qbo Robot
(@nonogrub)
Member Admin

Posted by: @caju

I want to add that I have also executed in a completely new Raspbian image the file QBO_Installer_09.sh provided by @chrisbuy in: http://thecorpora.com/community/developers/qbo_installer-sh-v1-0-fails-to-install-qbo-software-on-brandnew-image-2/#post-628

However, after executing it not even the microphone, the speaker, the leds or the motors worked for me. Note that I use as a library to control the nose and the motors the python file QboCmd.py that already works in the original Qbo image.

We wil try contact with @chrisbuy to help with your questions. Thanks for your questions and helping to the community.

ReplyQuote
chrisbuy
(@chrisbuy)

@caju

Which Raspbery Pi OS (Raspian) are you using? A couple of months ago, I was unable to get the driver for speaker and microphone working with a more recent OS (Raspbian Buster). I had to go back to the old Raspbian Stretch... :-( There everything worked!

In my research why the driver didn't work/load, some said they overhauled the driver integration in the kernel and you probably saw that Qbo driver for speaker and microphone is custom made. Not easy to rewrite.

I haven't tried with the very latest Raspberry Pi OS... maybe I should try that.

--
Christian Buysschaert
Leuven - Belgium
Email christian.buysschaert@gmail.com

ReplyQuote
caju
 caju
(@caju)
Topic starter  

Hi @chrisbuy, thanks for your answer and your work!

That's it! I am using the latest Raspbian Buster provided in Raspberry Downloads. Please, could you tell me one of the Raspbian versions compatible with the installation file .sh, in order to find and download it??

ReplyQuote
chrisbuy
(@chrisbuy)

Hi @caju, my apologies for not responding earlier! Unfortunately my job at Verizon is sometimes hectic but fun!

You can find earlier versions of Raspbian at...

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/

I believe it all still works for the latest Raspbian Stretch at...

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2019-04-09/

Let me know how it goes!

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by chrisbuy

--
Christian Buysschaert
Leuven - Belgium
Email christian.buysschaert@gmail.com

ReplyQuote
caju
 caju
(@caju)
Topic starter  

Hi @chrisbuy,

I have installed the .sh script in the raspbian-2019-04-09. The serial connection with the motors and the leds (mouth and nose) works fine, but it has not even configured the speaker nor the microphone. None of both devices are recognized by the raspi. I will try to fix it. If I can't I will use an USB microphone on the raspberry and a Speaker connected via Jack. Although I may have to program the mouth to move while talking by myself.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help. I have been able to control Qbo using ROS, and I am going to explain it in a new topic. Hope it can be useful for some users.

ReplyQuote
Qbo Robot
(@nonogrub)
Member Admin

Posted by: @caju

Hi @chrisbuy,

I have installed the .sh script in the raspbian-2019-04-09. The serial connection with the motors and the leds (mouth and nose) works fine, but it has not even configured the speaker nor the microphone. None of both devices are recognized by the raspi. I will try to fix it. If I can't I will use an USB microphone on the raspberry and a Speaker connected via Jack. Although I may have to program the mouth to move while talking by myself.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help. I have been able to control Qbo using ROS, and I am going to explain it in a new topic. Hope it can be useful for some users.

Hi @caju

using openqbo version2 you can see how microphone and speaker works. If you need any more information about how control these devices please let us to know to help you.

We are very excited to see that ROS can works very soon. 

Please keep in touch!!!

theCorpora Team

ReplyQuote
Share: