Clear all

Query about the Q.bo One Javascript Support

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@mrgrymreaper)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I'm currently an IT Professional updating my skills having learned HTML 4 and earlier version CSS support in high school and college during late 1990s and early 2000s. I'm working on a becoming a web developer and noticed that Q.bo One supports JavaScript. I'm wondering whether the JavaScript support is based on ECMA or the actual JavaScript language? Cause I'm currently learning this (ECMA) for my web development. Are currently wondering whether I would be able to use this knowledge to develop for your robotics platform?

Thank you for your time and attention in this matter.

Kind Regards,

MrGrymReaper

This topic was modified 5 years ago by MrGrymReaper

(@mrgrymreaper)
Topic starter  

Reason being if it is the actual JavaScript language. I was wondering whether ECMAScript and/or WebAssembly language could be added to that list please?

@qborobot Please check this and reply back.

This post was modified 5 years ago 3 times by MrGrymReaper

ReplyQuote
chrisbuy
(@chrisbuy)

There are two parts where you develop for Q.bo.

• The Arduino board - It is responsible for programming the (really) low level steering of the electronics for head movement, the nose, the mouth, touch sensors, the microphones, ... The code is written in Arduino language which is close to C. Typically you won't work with Q.bo on this level except if you know what you are doing. And anyway the source code is not yet open source... :-(
  • The Raspberry Pi - This is the brains of Q.bo and by talking to the Arduino board through a serial interface. You tell Q.bo on the Raspberry Pi to turn it's head left and the Arduino will take this command and translate this in electronically steering the servo for Q.bo's head horizontal movement. It does looks like you'll be focusing on the brain... ;-) So the advantage here is that the software is open source! And although currently Q.bo is programmed in Python, you can replace that with any language running on the Raspberry Pi as long as make sure you talk to the Arduino board via serial communication. 

So in short, the Raspberry Pi supports node.js so thereby server-side javascript BUT you'll have to start from the beginning... You need to understand how to tell the Arduino board to move the head left in Javascript (sending & receiving data over a serial port). Which is, in all honestly, not beginners javascript but certainly doable.

This post was modified 5 years ago by chrisbuy

--
Christian Buysschaert
Leuven - Belgium
Email christian.buysschaert@gmail.com

ReplyQuote
Share: